Complaints and Suggestions

Suggestions & Comments

We welcome comments regarding the quality of the service that we provide. If you have any suggestions on how to improve our services still further, please complete one of our suggestion cards, or our Friends and Family test or speak to any member of our staff.


This practice operates a complaints procedure in accordance with NHS guidelines.

Whilst we are always pleased to receive comments in appreciation of our services, we acknowledge that we do not always get it right. We treat complaints seriously and want to ensure that we learn from them, taking action to improve our service. Our aim is to provide the highest standards of service and we welcome your feedback

Who can complain?

You can complain if you are a patient or if you have been affected, or are likely to be affected, by something ‘Greyfriars Surgery’ has done or not done. You can also complain on behalf of someone else if you have his or her permission in writing.

Will my complaint be kept confidential?

If you are complaining about a treatment, yes, but in order to deal with your complaint, the Practice Manager, GP, person you complain to or the person you complain about will have to obtain the relevant information from your records. If you don’t want them to do this, you should let the Practice Manager know.

We also assure you that your care and service provision will not be negatively affected by the fact that you have made a complaint.

How to raise a concern or a complaint

First, please ask to speak to a member of Greyfriars staff as soon as you can. This could be the Practice Manager, the GP, Nurse or a member of the administration team. They will listen to your concerns and alert the Practice Manager to ensure these are investigated and addressed appropriately.

However, if you want to make a written complaint, you can do this by writing to the Practice Manager or completing one of our Complaints forms:

When we receive your complaint it is assessed and we identify who should lead the investigation, this will normally be the Practice Manager and a GP. We aim to acknowledge receipt of your complaint initially and then agree an investigation plan and an appropriate timescale for completion of our investigation and the reply to you.

When the Practice Manager telephones you on receipt of your complaint they will:

  • Verify the complaint issues that you want investigating.
  • Establish the investigation time required and agree a timescale for completion of the investigation.
  • Consider meeting or writing in response to your complaint.

Where appropriate we will offer you an early face-to-face meeting with the relevant staff to discuss your concerns. We have found this to be very helpful in resolving issues early on.

If there are issues that are not responded to then we will be happy to look again at the case and try and provide any further information, or arrange to meet with you to attempt further resolution.

Sources of support for Patients



Pohwer support anyone to make a complaint about the service, care or treatment provided to you by the NHS

  • Support you to make a complaint on someone else's behalf, including if someone has died.
  • Listen to your concerns
  • Signpost you to the right organisation in the right area if we think that we are not the right organisation for you
  • Answer questions about the complaints procedure and explain your options
  • Provide step by step guide to the complaints process and some tips
  • Provide you with a POhWER advocate, an experienced worker who can help you make your complaint and support you through the process
  • Support a young person under 16 if they have capacity to reach their own decisions. If a child does not have the capacity to make a decision about their treatment, only a parent or guardian may complain on behalf of their child without permission

Telephone: 0300 456 2370
Minicom: 0300 456 2364
Text: send the word 'pohwer' with your name and number to 81025
Fax: 0300 456 2365
Post: write to 'Pohwer', PO Box 14043, Birmingham B6 9BL

Taking it further

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint you may refer the matter to:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman,
Millbank Tower,
Telephone: 0345 0154033
Ombudsman website link

Complaining on behalf of someone else

We keep strictly to the rules of medical confidentiality (a separate leaflet giving more detail on confidentiality is available on request). If you are not the patient, but are complaining on their behalf, you must have their permission to do so. An authority signed by the patient concerned will be needed, unless they are incapable (because of illness or infirmity) of providing this.

Patient Advice and Liason Service (PALS)

Patient Advice and Liason Service (PALS)

If patients need advice that does not constitute a complaint being made, they can contact PALS. A confidential service to:

  • Advise and support patients, families and carers
  • Provide information, and signposting, to NHS services
  • Listen to concerns, suggestions or queries and pass to service managers
  • Help to resolve problems quickly on behalf of the enquirer

This service does not handle complaints but acts as a contact point to enable guidance for patients, and can often direct them to the appropriate organisation or member of staff best placed to deal with queries raised. PALS will inform Lincolnshire Community Health Services and NHS Lincolnshire of the outcome of all contacts to facilitate the improvement of services.

Please ring: 0845 602 4384

Local Services, Let Advert Discalimer
Local Services, Let Advert Discalimer